Monday, February 29, 2016

Learn the Difference and How an Eye Doctor Treats Them

Many people confuse styes and chalazia, which are the plural terms for “Stye” and “Chalazion.” It is probably because both of these are bumps that can occur on the upper or lower lid of the eye. However, there are some differences in the cause of these eye conditions, and while often they can be treated at home, they may require the services of an eye doctor such as the optometrists in Clayton, NC at Clarity Vision. The term stye refers to a small bump that can occur on either the upper or lower eyelid. Styes can be external, but can also occur on the internal surface of the eye. Either kind can be quite painful. Styes are actually infections caused by staphylococcal bacteria, which are already present on the skin. The bacteria, in combination with dead skin cells, sometimes forms this painful, pimple-like bump on the lid.

No comments:

Post a Comment